Stop 5: 127th Pennsylvania Monument
The 127th Pennsylvania was a nine-month regiment, organizing in August 1862 and disbanding in May 1863. The unit participated in just two engagements, the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862 and the Second Battle of Fredericksburg in May 1863. Because Fredericksburg was the only field they fought on, the regiment placed its monument here. The Pennsylvania legislature appropriated $3,000 for the project and Governor Samuel Pennypacker appointed a five-man commission to oversee the construction. The monument was dedicated on June 26, 1906 in front of veterans and dignitaries.